When the world is going rapidly digital, it only makes sense to have a convenient payment method when you zoom past the toll plazas. Introduced in 2014, FASTag is an alternative to cash payments at the toll plaza based on Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID).
Made mandatory by the government since 2021, FASTag technology has now been implemented across the country at more than 615 toll plazas to digitise the payment system. This technology has been a game-changer in reducing traffic and congestion on the toll plazas – the toll plaza system automatically reads the prepaid tag on your windshield, and the amount is deducted from your linked bank account.
Read on to know more about FASTag, including how you can apply for one.
How Does the FASTag Work?
FASTag is a sticker placed on the windshield of your vehicle, operating on RFID technology. When you cross the toll plaza, the system reads the FASTag and deducts the toll amount directly from your digital wallet or linked bank account.
This eliminates the hassle of stopping at toll plazas to make cash payments. It reduces the waiting time for each vehicle, reducing congestion and making the toll payment system highly efficient. Also, since it is a prepaid and rechargeable instrument, you can quickly complete the FASTag recharge online.
You can buy FASTag online from any of the 37 issuing banks, digital wallets, or offline from point-of-sales systems at major toll plazas.
How to Apply for a FASTag Online?
Here are the steps to buy FASTag online from a partner bank-
- Visit the bank’s website and navigate to the FASTag product page
- Click on the ‘Apply Now’ option
- Fill in the necessary details, including your personal and vehicle information
- Upload the required documents
- Pay the requisite joining fee and security deposit amount depending upon your vehicle class
- Once you submit the application, the FASTag will be delivered to your address in a few days
- Registration Certificate (RC) of your vehicle
- ID proof (Driving license/ PAN card/ Aadhaar Card/ Voter ID Card)
- Address proof
- Passport-size photo of the owner of the vehicle
How to Recharge FASTag Instantly?
You can conveniently carry out the FASTag recharge online or offline. You can recharge your FASTag account in denominations of 100, where the maximum limit depends on the vehicle type. Here are the various ways to do FASTag recharge online-
- Visit your bank’s website and recharge the FASTag through net banking
- Use your UPI account for instant recharge
- You can even use your debit or credit card to recharge FASTag from the website
- Many banks also offer auto-debit features where your FASTag is automatically recharged once the balance reaches a limit. The funds are deducted from your bank account
You can also recharge your FASTag by visiting your bank branch.
Over to You
Thanks to the latest technology, FASTag offers you faster and hassle-free commutes across the national highway. If you haven’t applied for the FASTag yet, it’s time to take that step. It will not only add convenience to your daily commute but will also help the environment.
Check out IndusInd Bank’s website and apply for your FASTag today.