IPL 2021: Australian contingent stuck in Maldives to land back their homes on Monday

All thirty-eight members of the Australian contingent who are stuck in the Maldives will be reaching their respective homes.

On Monday, May 16, all thirty-eight members of the Australian contingent who are stuck in the Maldives will be reaching their respective homes.

On May 4, the Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI) postponed this season of the Indian Premier League (IPL-2021) after a rapid increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in India and also many players and supporting staff affected by this deadly virus.  And the entire Australian contingent had traveled to the Maldives due to a travel ban from India to Australia.

As reported by ESPNcricinfo, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) batting coach Michael Hussey had been tested positive for Covid-19 in India after the IPL. On Monday, he will also reach Australia from India.

All the 38-member of Australian contingent will travel to Australia on a BCCI charter flight and then they will undergo hotel quarantine after reaching there. In the Maldives,  big players like Pat Cummins, David Warner, Steve Smith, and Michael Slater are stuck due to the travel ban imposed by Australia.

Cricket Australia’s Interim CEO Nick Hockley had praised the BCCI and the Indian board’s effort to get the Australian players back to their homes safely. He said, “I would say the BCCI has been absolutely fantastic. So they’re committed to not only the first movement to either the Maldives or Sri Lanka but they’re also then committed to putting on a charter to bring them back to Australia.”

Asked if Cricket Australia regrets letting the players go for this year’s IPL, Hockley said: “No, I don’t think so. I mean, our hearts go out to everyone in India. Clearly, I mean, I think the IPL, you know, but so much work, so much effort into putting on the tournament. They obviously did that on the best available information at the time and they’ve come to the decision over the last 24 hours that it’s in everyone’s — well, in the interests of the health and safety of everyone to suspend the tournament indefinitely.”

“At the moment–I was on the phone to my counterpart less than an hour ago and I can’t speak more highly for how the BCCI but also all of the franchises have worked to look after our players and put in plans to make sure that they get home safely and as quickly as possible,” he added.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

mersin escort