Kapil Dev, popularly known as the ‘Haryana Hurricane,’ is one of the best all-rounders in cricket history, having taken over 400 wickets and scoring over 5000 runs in Tests. During his captaincy, he led Indian cricket to new heights, including the 1983 World Cup trophy, which they won after defeating two-time champions West Indies in the finals.
Few people are aware that Kapil Dev made his debut in the cricket world by mistake. When he was 13 years old, one of the Chandigarh sector teams was short a player, so the cricketer was called in. He was so impressed by him that Kapil became a regular player.
Here are some lesser-known facts about Kapil Dev:
1. Kapil Dev is the first player in ODI history to take 200 wickets.
2. Kapil Dev is the only player in Test history to have taken 434 wickets and scored over 5000 runs.
3. Kapil walked out at 425 for 6 on his debut at Faisalabad to join Dilip Vengsarkar. “Please, may I have a leg-stump guard?” he asked the umpire. The Pakistan cricketers mocked and slammed him for this, but they later cautioned him not to be too polite during a cricket match.
4. During his 184-inning Test career, Kapil Dev was never run out.
5. Kapil Dev and Dilip Vengsarkar established an illustrious partnership for India, becoming the first pair to play a century Tests together. Few people are aware that Vengsarkar was the only person present when Kapil took his 100th, 200th, 300th, and 400th Test wickets.
6. Wisden called Kapil Dev Indian Cricketer of the Century in 2002.
7. In terms of films, Kapil Dev has appeared in four films: Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, Aryan: Unbreakable, Chain Kulii ki Main Kulii, and Iqbal.
Also this year, Kabir Khan’s directorial 83 will recreate the 1983 World Cup on the big screen. Ranveer Singh plays Kapil Dev, and his teammates include Tahir Raj Bhasin, Saqib Saleem, Harrdy Sandhu, Ammy Virk, Jiiva, Nishant Dahiya, and Sahil Khattar. Deepika Padukone, Pankaj Tripathi, and Boman Irani also appear in the film.